By gifting appreciated securities that you have held for over a year, you can take a tax deduction for the full market value of the appreciated stock, bonds or other kinds of securities without an obligation to pay capital gains taxes.
Here's the key information you'll need to make a transfer:
- Brokerage Firm: Schwab
DTC Number: 0164, Code 40
FBO Headwaters Foundation for Justice
Account Number: 5519-0480
- Headwaters Tax ID Number: 36-3359386
Important: Gifts of stocks/bonds are commonly transferred without identifying information with regard to the donor. If you wish your gift to be acknowledged, please notify Headwaters of this or any subsequent gifts of stocks or bonds to ensure that your gift is properly identified and receipted for tax purposes. Please contact Vice President of Operations Julie Remmelts.
Become a sustaining donor today by donating $20 a month, or at any amount that is personally meaningful to you!
Our donors are united by a desire to advance justice and liberation through philanthropy. Our supporters share an understanding that long-term progressive social change requires sustained resources over time.
For more information regarding our sustaining donor program, contact Director of Individual Giving Mary Delorié.
Advance your broad philanthropic goals and set up a Donor Advised Fund. It lets you direct your giving with guidance and support from experienced Headwaters staff. We will help connect you to organizations and issues you care about.
To learn more, contact Director of Individual Giving Mary Delorié.
Staff are working remotely during the ongoing pandemic, but we pick up our mail and deposit checks once a week.
Write checks to:
Headwaters Foundation for Justice
Mail checks to:
Headwaters Foundation for Justice
2801 21st Avenue South, Suite 132B
Minneapolis, MN 55407
Create a permanent resource for change with a planned gift. Options include adding Headwaters as a beneficiary in your will, estate plan, or retirement plan. Please get the advice of your tax or legal counsel first. To discuss your planned giving or for more information, contact Director of Individual Giving Mary Delorié.
Legacy Giving Details
- To add Headwaters as a beneficiary in your will, estate plan, or as a beneficiary of your retirement plan, include our full name and ID number: Headwaters Foundation for Justice, tax ID number 36-3359386.
- If you want to restrict your gift to a specific purpose, please contact us so we fully understand your intent for how you’d like us to use your generous gift.
- Let us know if you've named Headwaters as a beneficiary of a legacy gift because we want to list you in our growing circle of friends and supporters.
- By naming Headwaters as a beneficiary of all or part of a life insurance policy, IRA, or qualified retirement plan, you can avoid income and estate taxes while supporting Headwaters. Special note to donors over 70 and 1/2: you may transfer up to $100,000 in IRA assets directly to Headwaters without recognizing any federal taxable income. A charitable distribution doesn't limit any of your other giving. Because the charitable distribution generates neither taxable income nor a tax deduction, even non-itemizers can benefit. Special circumstances apply—please contact us for information and seek the advice of your tax or legal counsel before taking action.