Giving Project Grant Program
Giving Project grants support organizations that are led by and for Black people, Indigenous people, and people of color (BIPOC) that also use a community organizing approach to address root causes of injustice. Headwaters has been offering Giving Project grants since 2015.
The 2020 Giving Project Grant
Giving Project grants are general operating grants support organizations that lead grassroots organizing work across Minnesota. Headwaters offers them once per year, typically in the winter.
Minnesota-based groups led by and for Black people, Indigenous people, and people of color applied online in early 2020. Eligible organizations needed to tell us about their organized constituency base and specific goals and strategies. We wanted to learn about how they build power in their communities to push for systems change.
Participants of the 2020 Giving Project raised all grant funds. The cross-class, multiracial cohort started meeting in January 2020 and spent six months raising money from their friends, families, and communities. They also led the progam's grantmaking process.
The grant application cycle starts over again in 2021, and we'll share details here when they are ready.
Applicant organizations can apply for up to $15,000 general operating support.
The 2020 cycle closed in February. The next cycle will open in Winter 2021 and we will share details as they are available.
- Giving Project Grant Guidelines And Application Packet
- Organizations will apply online through our Grant Portal
Information Sessions are an opportunity for applicants to ask program staff questions and meet current or former grantees. We will schedule 2021 sessions and announce details as they are available.
Organizations typically find out whether their application was selected for funding in June.
- Attend an Information Session and connect with us!
- Take time to review the criteria and guidelines well in advance of the deadline. This gives you time to make sure your organization meets eligibility and funding criteria; and to get all of the required documents to complete the application.
- Remember: program staff will not accept late or incomplete applications.