Friday, March 13th, 2020
In response to the current public health situation, Headwaters offices will close, and staff will work from home as of Monday, March 16th. We’ve made this decision for a few reasons. First, to take care of each other and our community. Second, to help slow the spread of the coronavirus that can lead to the COVID-19 disease. Third, to support local healthcare systems and workers on the frontline. Our plan is to return to our offices by March 31st but expect email and website updates if that changes.
The number of Minnesota’s confirmed COVID-19 cases grows every day. This situation needs people everywhere to be well-informed and well-rested. This situation also shows us how classism, xenophobia, anti-Asian racism, and ableism work with other forms of oppression to divide us. Now is the time to check in on and support our neighbors and small businesses. It's also a good time to remember how we are all part of an abundant, resilient community.
What does HFJ’s decision to close the office look like? Staff will avoid all city-wide, regional, and national nonessential business travel. We’ll host previously scheduled in-person meetings using resources like Zoom video conferencing software. Please contact us during regular business hours through email or phone. Our social media channels and website will remain active. Find us there as we share resources, actions, and updates—about this situation and about our ongoing work.
That said, we want to share some coronavirus-related content we’ve recently found reassuring, informative, and inspirational:
- Asian Pacific American Resource Center at the U of MN Stands Against COVID-19 Xenophobia
- Demands from Grassroots Organizers Concerning COVID-19
- COVID-19: What Nonprofits Need to Know from Minnesota Council of Nonprofits
- Minnesota Department of Health updates
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Updates
- Coronavirus: Wisdom from a Social Justice Lens
- Response from our sister fund Social Justice Fund Northwest in Seattle, WA
Let’s stay connected. My team and I want to hear from you, and you will keep hearing from us.
Maria De La Cruz, JD